Was a limited slip included in the TJ "Sport" package?

Anything concerning your jeep... Repairs, parts, etc
MDH-WV

Was a limited slip included in the TJ "Sport" package?

Post by MDH-WV » Tue May 19, 2009 11:17 am

Does anyone know if the TJ "Sport" package had a limited slip or not?

I had a 1997 XJ with the "Sport" package and remember reading that it came with a limited slip rear end (and it went like a tank on and off-road). I haven't done any real off-roading with my TJ yet to test and see if both tires dig or not.

I looked up the VIN codes to try and determine if it is limited slip equipped, but couldn't find the exact code to crack the VIN and none of the online VIN decoders go that far into the build sheet.

Forbes
Post Whore
Vehicle: Pair of Nike's.

Re: Was a limited slip included in the TJ "Sport" package?

Post by Forbes » Tue May 19, 2009 12:12 pm

Pretty sure they did not.

04xrckmtn
Lifted Poster

Post by 04xrckmtn » Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 pm

IIRC limited slip could be added to any package....but it did have to be added. Its not guaranteed to be included in any package.

EDIT: If you want to know for sure you'll have to get a copy of your build sheet from a dealer. I don't think you can decode it from the VIN alone.
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna find out where they're going and catch up with them later.

skmjeep
Rookie

Post by skmjeep » Tue May 19, 2009 1:57 pm

If you got the 30" wheel package then you got the Dana 44 if you got the Dana 44 then you got the limited slip

It goes back to the 30" wheel package
03 Red TJ 6" Fabtech LA, 35 MTR's, Ramsey winch, A to Z rockers, JFL Front and Rear Bumpers 4.88 gears with Auburn e-locks coming soon

Vec
Post Whore
Vehicle: 01 TJ

Post by Vec » Tue May 19, 2009 2:08 pm

skmjeep wrote:If you got the 30" wheel package then you got the Dana 44 if you got the Dana 44 then you got the limited slip

It goes back to the 30" wheel package

wrong...

i have the sport

i have the D44....

i had the 30" tire package...

i had an open rear end.
En este mundo hay dos tipos
Los de armas cargadas y los que cavan

rdcox23
Bullet Proof
Vehicle: 2005 Wrangler LJ

Post by rdcox23 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Vec wrote: i had an open rear end.
Open for what? :lol:
LIVING IS:

Living is a thing you do
now or never.............which do you?

skmjeep
Rookie

Post by skmjeep » Tue May 19, 2009 3:53 pm

Because I am wrong with the previous post

May be this will help answer your question

2.11. Dana 44 rear axle

The Dana 44 axle is a stronger axle designed for heavier off-road use. This option was previously only available with the Trac-Lok differential, which is a limited slip model. Mark Allen (allenm1 at worldnet.att.net) wrote:

There's been a lot of info exchanged concerning Dana 44, Trac-Lok, and axle ratios for the '97 Wrangler - not all of which has been accurate. Here's what you need to know:
- The axle ratio is determined by the ring & pinion gears. The Dana 35C axle has a 3.07 ratio, whereas the Dana 44 has a 3.55. (Editor's note: This isn't quite correct; the Dana 35C axle is optionally available with a 3.55 gear ratio.)

- The "Trac-Lok" is a limited-slip differential manufactured by Dana (Spicer) to replace the stock "open" differential. The existing ring & pinion gears are retained when the Trac-Lok is installed.

- The stock rear axle of the TJ is a Dana 35C. Prior to 7/7/96, this is the ONLY rear axle available, even with the Trac-Lok option. So if you ordered the Trac-Lok DSA option @ $278 MSRP, you have a Dana 35C axle with a ratio of 3.07, not the Dana 44.

- Starting 7/7/96, you could order the Dana 44 rear axle, code DRK @ $535 MSRP. This option includes DSA, the Trac-Lok, and has a 3.55 ratio. Note that this option is approximately double the cost of the Trac-Lok alone. Yes, you are paying more for the Dana 44 upgrade!

2.12. Trac-Lok Differential
This is a limited slip differential, which keeps all of the power from being transferred to a slipping wheel. This is a definite plus for serious off-road use. This became evident to me when I tried to pull a stuck Grand Cherokee out of the mud: my left front tire was stuck in a patch of wet grass, and my right rear tire was in some slippery mud. We had to have another Wrangler driver help with this towing task. If you don't get the Trac-Lok differential, though, don't worry about not being able to drive off-road: the new suspension helps with being able to keep all of your tires on the ground better than the leaf suspension.

Note that if you get a limited slip differential (Trac-Lok or any aftermarket limited slip differential), you need to have a full size spare tire. You cannot mix tires with different sizes if you have a limited slip differential, or control problems will be the result.

As of the 2005 model year, the Trac-Lok option is available as part of the "Brake and Traction Group", which includes a 3.73 axle ratio and four-wheel disc brakes as well. This may have been different in previous model years.

Quote from TJ FAQ Buyers guide
03 Red TJ 6" Fabtech LA, 35 MTR's, Ramsey winch, A to Z rockers, JFL Front and Rear Bumpers 4.88 gears with Auburn e-locks coming soon

MDH-WV

Post by MDH-WV » Tue May 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Good info skm! I missed that site when I was "googling" around.

http://www.visi.com/~tam/tjfaq/sec2.html for those who wish to do more reading.

Vec
Post Whore

Post by Vec » Tue May 19, 2009 7:10 pm

and i had 3.73 gears not 3.55....................

Jeepin_erik
Bullet Proof

Post by Jeepin_erik » Tue May 19, 2009 8:56 pm

email Chrysler tech support your VIN number and ask for a build sheet... tells ya EVERYTHING
2001 Ram 2500 Ex. Cab
Quadzilla Adrenalin w/ Pulse V2
Aurora 4000 Turbo
5" Turbo Back feeding 6" Single Stack
Southbend Dual Disc Clutch
Setup for draggin a sled!

kfbagt
Lifted Poster

Post by kfbagt » Tue May 19, 2009 9:25 pm

pop open the cover and look. 2 minutes. done.
i drive a jeep

natebmiller
Rookie

Post by natebmiller » Thu May 21, 2009 2:16 pm

kfbagt wrote:pop open the cover and look. 2 minutes. done.
and then have to refill the diff with gear oil...not exactly cheap.

Getting the build sheet is free. Just call any jeep dealership and give them the VIN and they will normally fax it to you.

kfbagt
Lifted Poster

Post by kfbagt » Thu May 21, 2009 11:22 pm

natebmiller wrote:
kfbagt wrote:pop open the cover and look. 2 minutes. done.
and then have to refill the diff with gear oil...not exactly cheap.

Getting the build sheet is free. Just call any jeep dealership and give them the VIN and they will normally fax it to you.

like $12 man. probably needs changed anyway if you've never had it open :wink:
i drive a jeep

MDH-WV

Post by MDH-WV » Thu May 21, 2009 11:49 pm

I emailed Jeep Tech support requesting a build sheet 2 days ago. No response yet. Considering what our government is doing to Chrysler, I'm guessing all their employees are too busy posting resumes on Monster.com to answer my question. :cussing:

I will probably pop the cover off of the diff and do a visual inspection anyway since I suspect it has the original fluid in it. With 83k miles in the odo, I'm sure it could use some fresh fluid.

I'm betting it's an open diff. The Jeep is a TJ "Sport" withOUT the factory installed tow package and the door sticker implies it came with 205 tires. The odds are not in my favor. :crybaby:

Vec
Post Whore

Post by Vec » Fri May 22, 2009 6:55 am

you can take your vin to the jeep dealer/parts dept.. they can run and print the build sheet for you... they did it for me.