Alternative to Aftermarket Tire Carrier

Anything concerning your jeep... Repairs, parts, etc
Joleat
Newb
Vehicle: 2013 JK

Post by Joleat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:30 am

I just upgraded to LT285/70R17s mounted on aftermarket wheels with less backspacing than the stockers. Therefore, the wheel/tire combo not only weighs more than the stock setup, but it is also an inch or so further from the tailgate (added some 1.25" OD heater hose to my factory tailgate bump stops). This, of course, means the new setup has a little more leverage on the stock carrier.

The easiest solution would be to plop down $790 for the carrier component of my AEV bumper, but I want to explore other solutions. So far, I've thought of a couple.

Option #1 - If you look at the pictures below, you'll see that the 285 almost touches the bumper. I'm thinking I could take an 8-10" diameter piece of 1/4" plate and cut it into a semi-circle. The semi-circle could then be welded to the flat portion of the bumper (the top portion of the bumper that currently has a non-skid material). The 4-5" deep semi-circle should project directly under the tire just enough to carry some of the weight.

Option #2 - Using 1/4" plate and angle or square tube, I could fab a replacement carrier that would bring the spare assembly closer to the tailgate. I could design this so that the tire would rest on the top of the bumper (again, where there is currently a non-ski material) without the need of the semi-circle from option #1. This option will obviously cost more, but I could return to stock with little trouble.

Who has a metal shop at their disposal? LOL

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...

Engineer_Eric
Rookie
Vehicle: 2005 Jeep LJ, 5.3L V8

Post by Engineer_Eric » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:42 am

I don't know anything about jks but I bet the body is mounted on rubber bushings and the bumper is bolted to the frame, meaning those two things move independently. I wouldn't think either option will work out exactly how you are hoping. Is the factory carrier steel? If so it could be sectioned or get a less expensive replacement for it either way creating more gap between the tire and bumper would be a good idea. I also wouldn't want to grind the powder coat off a nice bumper and weld on it, which will also burn it off the back side
2005 LJ with 2008 Chevy 5.3, 4L60E, 5.5" RE short arm, ford 8.8 with grizzly & 4.88s, HP30 with truetrac, 37" BFG AT, XRC bumpers, superwinch 9500

Joleat
Newb

Re: Alternative to Aftermarket Tire Carrier

Post by Joleat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:10 am

You bring up an interesting point about flex. I'll have to see just how much flex there is between the body and bumper. The factory carrier appears to be cast, which really limits what you can be done to it. I'm not too concerned about the powder coat on the bumper; it will inevitably have some rock rash sooner or later.

whitejeeploven
Locked and Loaded
Vehicle: 96 xj white 4dr

Post by whitejeeploven » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:42 am

The amount of body to frame flex will grow over the years. If it was me id design a bolt on application to the bumper with a hinge setup. That being making the rear accessible still. Secondly I would not bolt anything to the body even in the factory tire spot. Like you said you have added weight and distance from the body. There is only thin sheet metal there. If you do bolt body reinforced back side wouldn't hurt.
J.ust
E.veryone
E.veryday
P.laying

..,=====,___
//__l_l_,\____\,__
l_--\_l__l---[]lollol[]
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___ winch, some lights, 31s, some looks, unlocked, 4.0 i6,

Life is not a race, there's no need to come in first to finish!

jtice
Post Whore
Vehicle: 2013 Jeep JK Rubicon

Post by jtice » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:14 am

Just so you know, there are also options of beefing up the stock tailgate.

Stronger hinges
http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop/jk- ... ate-hinge/

Renforced plate
http://www.retrofitoffroad.com/shop/jk- ... forcement/

But if you plan on going to larger tires later on, might as well invest in a nice bumper/tire carrier.
www.jtice.com
2013 Jeep JK Rubicon
2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD
2005 Jeep Rubicon - Traded
1999 Jeep TJ - Sold

Joleat
Newb

Post by Joleat » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:39 am

The extended hinge just gave me another idea... I need to chew on this for a few days.

SLADE
Post Whore

Post by SLADE » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:05 am

Your only running a 285. Yea you have a little more weight but it's not excessive even with less BS.

Take the shake and vibration out of the tire with these.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/suspension ... bump-stops?

Or if you want a little bit better mount without spending $500+, there are mounts in the $150 range that will handle a 285 without issue.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/exterior/b ... rrier-2743
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Wrangler
2004 Wrangler
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Joleat
Newb

Post by Joleat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks for chiming in, Slade. I passed on the Daystar bump stops on purpose. I've read quite a few negative reviews about their quality. I believe the heater hose I installed will hold up a little better long term. The carrier you posted is an interesting design.

jtice
Post Whore

Post by jtice » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:54 pm

I need to replace my tire carrier bumpstops as well, but I have also read that the Daystars are junk, basically foam.
Not really seen any others out there, Ill just have to pick up some stock ones.
The bumper/tire carrier I have on the way uses the stock ones. Mine are all smashed and wonky.
www.jtice.com
2013 Jeep JK Rubicon
2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD
1999 Jeep TJ - Sold

SLADE
Post Whore

Post by SLADE » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:10 pm

As long as they snugged (pressed against) up against the tire and limit vibration and rattling, they are doing all they need to do. As long as your heater hose is preventing the tire from shaking and limiting vibration/rattles, the heater hose is fine. If the heater hose is just filling the gap, it's not doing much.

A lot of the cheap gate mounted carriers just accommodate larger tires and wheels with less back spacing. they really don't do much if anything to strengthen the tail gate. But they do provide a solid mount for the tire so it's not just hanging out back there shaking, vibrating, and rattling your tailgate to pieces.

There are reinforcement plates that can be installed to help stiffen up the factory mount locations, but without addressing the hinges they can really only do so much on their own.
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Wrangler
2004 Wrangler
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

SLADE
Post Whore

Post by SLADE » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 pm

I may look into the heater hose for the 4 door. I have a 35" tire on factory wheel hanging off the back and with the 1.25" wheel spacer the bumbers are not touching. Heater hose is simple enough to make work.
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Wrangler
2004 Wrangler
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Joleat
Newb

Post by Joleat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 pm

The heater hoses really seem to do the trick. I cut them about 1/4" longer than they needed to be so the tire compresses them nicely. There is a noticeable reduction in tailgate rattle. I also repositioned the striker plate ever so slightly.

jtice
Post Whore

Post by jtice » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Slade,
I know they have bumped up the weight rating on the JK gate over the years, though I dont know what they have actually changed.
So you might be ok you your 4 door wince its a 2014.
But keep an eye on the spot welds on the inside panel of your gate, it pops them when there is too much weight, or too much rattle.
www.jtice.com
2013 Jeep JK Rubicon
2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD
1999 Jeep TJ - Sold

J-rod
Vehicle: 2008 JK, 2005 KJ

Post by J-rod » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:53 pm

I had always planned to run that Smitty carrier with my 37"
But now I run none

Use the MBRP reinforcement kit with that carrier and your gold. My buddy carried a 37" that way for 4 years on his 07 and had no issues.

MBRP replaces the spot welds. Actually break the welds off and use a nut and bolt.
Jared:
His: 2008 JK Unlimited Build Thread
Her's: 2005 KJ
Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge.