UPDATE::: Wobble.... Wobble.....

Anything concerning your jeep... Repairs, parts, etc
Forbes
Post Whore
Vehicle: Pair of Nike's.

UPDATE::: Wobble.... Wobble.....

Post by Forbes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:58 am

I've been having a little problem with the Jeep lately, and I'm looking for a place to start in tracking it down.

A few weeks ago, I noticed that when braking, I would get a bit of a wobble in the steering wheel. Now that I have added 3" of more spring to my Jeep, I feel it a lot more (more sensitive, I guess). Also, sometimes if I brake REALLY hard, the jeep will want to pull to the right (passenger side). Other times, I can brake, and feel nothing, it stops on a straight path, as it should. In the last few days, I have noticed that if I feel the "wobble" when I brake, I sometimes feel it again as I start to accelerate. It's there for a minute, then goes away.

I've heard a few of you talk about calipers sticking... is this my problem? I looked at the front brakes this past weekend, and they looked okay, and I have plenty of pad left. Rotors didn't seem to be in bad shape either. All I could think of is a sticking caliper, or a warped rotor....

Anyone ever have this happen, or have any suggestions for where I should start looking/replacing? If it is a caliper, are they expensive to replace?
Last edited by Forbes on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TJinWV
Lifetime Member
Vehicle: 2006 TJ

Re: Wobble.... Wobble.....

Post by TJinWV » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:02 am

Sounds like a warped rotor. It's typically not something you can really see by looking at the rotor.
Dan - TJinWV <><
2002 TJ, 2" OME lift, ARBs

.ɹǝʌo ǝɯ 11oɹ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

MasterShakeXJ
Curb Crawler

Post by MasterShakeXJ » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:28 am

rotors arent too bad to replace, just depends what kind you get. are your end links on your swaybar at the same height on both sides? sometimes if ones higher than the other it can cause your jeep to pull one direction or the other when braking. maybe another thing to check would be ujoints, not sure if that would be the problem though.
TrueBlueXJ wrote: I was squealing like an Asian schoolgirl at a Jonas Brothers concert

SLADE
Post Whore

Post by SLADE » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:31 am

Good time to change out pads and rotors.

Check your caliper on the driverside. it may be stuck and not clamping all the way, or not as hard. If only 1 front brake is working, it will pull to the side that is working.
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Wrangler
2004 Wrangler
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Forbes
Post Whore

Post by Forbes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:44 am

MasterShakeXJ wrote: are your end links on your swaybar at the same height on both sides? sometimes if ones higher than the other it can cause your jeep to pull one direction or the other when braking.
Good thought, but I haven't had my swaybar connected since April, so I don't think that's it. :)
SLADE wrote:Good time to change out pads and rotors.

Check your caliper on the driverside. it may be stuck and not clamping all the way, or not as hard. If only 1 front brake is working, it will pull to the side that is working.
Kind of what I thought I might have to do... They sell a "caliper grease", don't they? If one is stuck, should I try that, or is it more like once they start to stick, they're better off being replaced?

skmjeep
Rookie

Post by skmjeep » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:52 am

Had a similar problem mine was the tires were out of balance and would only show when I braked hard
Just something else to try
03 Red TJ 6" Fabtech LA, 35 MTR's, Ramsey winch, A to Z rockers, JFL Front and Rear Bumpers 4.88 gears with Auburn e-locks coming soon

prchrman
Lifetime Member

Post by prchrman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:52 am

pull the wheels and make sure you don't have mud in them
2004 LJ w/coil spacers, scratches, dents, 34x10.50 LTBs JKS mml, bl undercoverfab tt skid
4.88's stay trail hungry

SLADE
Post Whore

Post by SLADE » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 am

prchrman wrote:pull the wheels and make sure you don't have mud in them

MUD...

The most overlooked problem (or cause of)
2014 Wrangler Unlimited
2013 Wrangler
2004 Wrangler
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Forbes
Post Whore

Post by Forbes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:03 am

SLADE wrote:
prchrman wrote:pull the wheels and make sure you don't have mud in them

MUD...

The most overlooked problem (or cause of)
I just had all four wheels off on Sunday and everything was clean. The problem has been going on since before then, so I ruled mud out. I have had it through my balance off before though. :D

Jeepers-Creepers
Post Whore

Post by Jeepers-Creepers » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:10 am

I would say you warped a rotor it don't take much to get one hot or even driving through a nice cold mud hole. Have them turned at a parts place or brake shop much cheaper than buying new ones and replace the pads when you do it.
04 Ford F-250, Ext. Cab, 6.8 V10 Tow Rig
85 Toyota Truggy Style, 60 Rear, Chromo'd 44 Front, Custom Back Half, Exo Caged, 4 link rear, Fox Air Shox, Warn 9.5, Twin Sticked, Dual Cases, Warn Premium Hubs, And who know's what else

94YJprestonWV
Rookie

Post by 94YJprestonWV » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:15 am

if you have to replace the caliper i think they are pretty cheap, when i went on that last trail ride lilredxj replaced his and it was like 20 bucks
94 YJ 4" Rough Country lift with 31 10.50 15 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, herculined, JKS quick disco's, A to Z rocksliders, 10,000lb Smittybilt Winch, Gen Right full body corner armor, Aussie lockers front and back

Forbes
Post Whore

Post by Forbes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:18 am

yea, I was just looking at parts... Calipers around 20-25... rotors, not a whole lot more... not bad at all. Just more work. lol.

prchrman
Lifetime Member

Post by prchrman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:26 pm

check your wheel bearings?
2004 LJ w/coil spacers, scratches, dents, 34x10.50 LTBs JKS mml, bl undercoverfab tt skid
4.88's stay trail hungry

Forbes
Post Whore

Post by Forbes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:48 pm

prchrman wrote:check your wheel bearings?
No, haven't done that...

prchrman
Lifetime Member

Post by prchrman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:33 pm

jack it up, put hands on tire at 12 and 6 and try to wobble it...if it does you have a bearing to replace, if it does not then it may be the rotor...usually a bit of noise when the bearings get bad enough, but worth checking
4.88's stay trail hungry