Remembering Ace

TJinWV
Lifetime Member
Vehicle: 2006 TJ

Remembering Ace

Post by TJinWV » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:05 pm

I know a lot of you newer guys didn't really know Pete, but I figured I'd start a thread for us to share our stories and pictures of him. Pete came around about the time I started on the forums around 2003 or 2004. He was pretty instrumental in the formation of the club, and served on the Governing Body as well as helping me out with some Admin duties. I met him in person the first time in June of 2005. He was one of my interviewers when I interviewed at TMC Technologies, and a week or so after the interview, we both went to the first Snowshoe Jeep Jamboree. Back then he lived in Pinch Gut Holler, and his username was PinchGutTJ.

This picture is from our first driver's meeting at Snowshoe. While we were at the meeting, his jeep drifted back into mine. We joked that I couldn't really say anything because he was going to be my boss. :D

Pete and my wife Julie in the Cheat Moutain Trail fire tower at the Snowshoe Jamboree...

I started working with him the week after the Jamboree. We worked different tasks, but eventually shared an office for a year or so until I left TMC (by then it was bought out and renamed GST). By the time I left, there were four TJs at GST - Pete, myself, Jeff (Rocold on the old forum) and Mike (Rocket).

Before I left GST, we talked our manager, who had a nice Land Rover, into going out to Tower Hill with the rest of us jeepers. The Rover ended up being pulled up a hill on a strap by my Jeep. It got a little messy.

Judy and Pete's jeeps at the 2007 Harry Green Jeep Show:

The GST Jeepers at Lost Run:

The rest of these I stole from other posts in the forum:

The wedding ride lineup:

Pete in Judy's jeep, his sister Tracy (greenfiend) and her husband Chuck (CSXJeepster), and his cousin Erik from Asheville after we showed them around Fort Hill:

2008 Snowshoe Jamboree - Pete and Judy, Matt (WVGuyInAJeep), his brother (Aaron, I think - OHGuyInAJeep at the time), Myself and Hunter, and Preacherman.

We lined up for the trail ride one of the mornings of the 2008 Snowshoe Jambo, and Pete let too much air out of one of his tires. We put some air back in it using my ARB compressor. The trail guide walked by, and Pete told him he was in for a long day because he had guys on the trail airing up BEFORE the ride.

Me following Pete, taken from Chris's jeep...

I'll finish with Judy's all-time favorite...

Thanks for the memories, Pete.
Dan - TJinWV <><
2002 TJ, 2" OME lift, ARBs

.ɹǝʌo ǝɯ 11oɹ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Becki
Locked and Loaded
Vehicle: 07 Wrangler X, 13 Kia Optima

Re: Remembering Ace

Post by Becki » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Great pics, Bub.
narnwv wrote:The Kia did great! ....... Proof that it's all about the driver, not the rig.
Becki
07 Wrangler X, 2.5" lift, M/T's, otherwise stock

RubiJudy
Locked and Loaded
Vehicle: 2004 Jeep Rubicon

Post by RubiJudy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks Dan.........I am kinda speechless now. But he loved this club and all of you. My heart is broken,
Some women wear red hats.....but I DRIVE THIS!

prchrman
Lifetime Member

Post by prchrman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:48 pm

great times...
2004 LJ w/coil spacers, scratches, dents, 34x10.50 LTBs JKS mml, bl undercoverfab tt skid
4.88's stay trail hungry

notajeep
Lifetime Member
Vehicle: 1993 Explorer

Post by notajeep » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Great post, Dan. I was fortunate to come in to the club when I did and meet and talk to Pete several times.

Bev
Lifted Poster
Vehicle: 02 TJ X, Sportage, Rzr 800S

Post by Bev » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:53 pm

Dan, this is wonderful.

Judy, your Jeep family is thinking about you & your family, and we're here for you always.

RAMaJEEP
Bullet Proof
Vehicle: yj with gears and lockers

Post by RAMaJEEP » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:14 am

I can remember the new years ride i dont know how many years ago its been but be were at fort hill and pete when through that nasty mud hole in the bottom and hot stuck biggger than crap. Preacher man came behind him with him BIG-OL-31s and went right through or well over it. Great memories
YJ 4.56s lockers 36" iroks
1997 ex cab cummins 12v 5spd 78k original miles

prchrman
Lifetime Member

Post by prchrman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:44 am

2004 LJ w/coil spacers, scratches, dents, 34x10.50 LTBs JKS mml, bl undercoverfab tt skid
4.88's stay trail hungry

prchrman
Lifetime Member

Post by prchrman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:52 am

4.88's stay trail hungry

prchrman
Lifetime Member

Post by prchrman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:54 am

4.88's stay trail hungry

J-rod
Vehicle: 2008 JK, 2005 KJ

Post by J-rod » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:36 am

one of the last times I got to see Ace

Jared:
His: 2008 JK Unlimited Build Thread
Her's: 2005 KJ
Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge.

engrgpr
Rookie
Vehicle: 2013 JKUR

Post by engrgpr » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:27 am

Pete was one of the first friends I made on the Jeep board, back in 2005. He invited me to use his garage when I needed a dry/warm place to put the lift on my TJ. We went on a lot of trail rides together, and were there to help each other out. Although we hadn't been close the past few years, I still cared about Pete as a friend, and I wish I was there for him.

One of our Ft. Hill runs - he was riding with Benn. I think it was only his first or second time out and Pete was trying to keep him out of trouble. :)

The jeep lineup at one of our many Lost Run rides.

We're here if you need anything, Judy.

-g

tupton
Post Whore
Vehicle: 2006 Chevy Silverado

Post by tupton » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:12 am

I'm not sure if I have any pics of Pete, but we had several rides together back in the day and spoke on the phone often when I was club VP. Pete always wanted the best for the club, and strived to make it better. He was a nice guy who helped me when I was a noob and always seemed to lend a helping hand to those that needed it.

One of the nicest things from Pete was the "open invitation" to use his couch if I ever needed it when going to WVU games. He always reminded me before the start of each football season. Although I didn't need to take him up on his offer, just the fact that he would do so still strikes me as a very nice and kind thing to do.

He will be sadly missed.

Tom
Tom Upton

TJinWV
Lifetime Member
Vehicle: 2006 TJ

Post by TJinWV » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Pete's the only person I know that actually gave that Lock Ness Monster tree fiddy...

Dan - TJinWV <><
2002 TJ, 2" OME lift, ARBs

.ɹǝʌo ǝɯ 11oɹ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Bev
Lifted Poster
Vehicle: 02 TJ X, Sportage, Rzr 800S

Post by Bev » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Love it. :-)