Recent

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 17, 2019, 12:32:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 305
  • Total Topics: 54
  • Online Today: 8
  • Online Ever: 38
  • (February 06, 2019, 11:50:35 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2
Total: 2

Read 116 times

• Nu8ll

• March 06, 2019, 03:12:52 PM
    more
Overland trip out west.
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:37:13 AM »
Q1,  Is anyone going on an overland trip later this year?
       Do you have room in your party for another jeep?

Q2,  Is there anyone interested in an overland trip out west for 2020?  The date is not yet set, but would be somewhere in June/July/August.
As I am new to this, I see two options, but I am more than open to more options and guidance.
Option 1, someone in the team that has done this, please speak up and help me plan something out.
Option 2, below.
I have been in contact with a gentleman in Cinci OH, AJ, who leads up a trip every year.  It is too late to get into that group for 2019.  AJ's team would lead on the when as we would be tagging along.
They start their planning for each trip around December of the year before.  So planning for 2020 will start Dec 2019.
The info I do have is that this year that group is going to Colorado.  They may go there again in 2020, or possibly somewhere else.  They are leaving on a Friday afternoon and returning the sunday a week later. 
We are 3-4 hours behind them, east to west.  So we should think about leaving Friday morning to be on schedule with a meet up.

From what I understand, we should plan for the following expenses:900-1000$ in lodging expenses for camp sites and hotels.  Order and cost will be based on the route.  1500$ +- in fuel.$x in food.  I propose a coordinated meal plan for the group.  Divide up the kitchen and reduce cost/weight     /mess/waste.  We don't need 20 camp stoves.  Collaborating could save a lot of space and hopefully food cost.I am new to all things jeep.  But this is one of the reasons I bought a jeep.  And I want this to happen.My wife is on board with the trip.  I am not sure if my teen son will be going or not.  That will depend on if there is another teen going for him to have someone to hang with. 

I have a lot of extra camping gear that I could loan/sell/trade. 
If we have interest in a trip, I suggest a have/need thread to get everyone ready as cheaply as possible.
Thoughts?
Mike.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:25:22 PM by Nu8ll »

• WV_REBELCON
  • Governing Body

• January 23, 2019, 09:29:02 PM
    • Hurricane, WV
Re: Overland trip out west.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 04:42:51 PM »
I have never ever done this...but would love to do exactly everything you just said. I say this is an awesome idea. I've heard a bunch of people wanting to do this as well. I am almost half tempted to go to Easter Jeep Safari in 2020 or 2021 if AJ's team in Cincinnati, OH doesn't work out for whatever reason. That way once we get down there (Moab) it is all planned out for us and we just pretty much follow the leader and pick the trails. We would only need to focus mostly on getting there and back. I will think more about it and get with you in the near future to discuss any ideas.

Getting a thread together after we have a good solid count of interested individuals would be the next step in my mind, as you suggested. I would keep getting the word out at events and trail rides during the next couple of months.

• Nu8ll

more
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 09:48:26 PM »
WV_REBELCON,
Sounds great.  Would love to have the company :).
I've been working slowly to prep the jeep for a trip. 
I would like my first time going out there to be at least mostly planned out.I do not want to get into something I regret.

• WV_REBELCON
  • Governing Body

• January 23, 2019, 09:29:02 PM
    • Hurricane, WV
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 01:48:53 PM »
Totally agree! Keep updating each other on here so others can follow along and we will see what becomes of it.

• smccollamjr

• January 29, 2019, 05:33:48 PM
    more
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:12:15 PM »
Me and a friend are planning a trip to Ouray and Moab for July 2020. I don’t consider it an “Overland” trip because we’ll be trailering and most likely staying in hotels, but if we’re in the same place at the same time it’d be cool meet up and do some wheeling.

• Nu8ll

more
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 01:42:18 AM »
Planning out a trip around Lake Superior.  Planning to do a few days of camping here and there along the way. 

Been busy adding to the jeep.
- Rock Hard full width Patriot series front bumper with reese receiver and recessed winch plate

- WARN VR8000 wench
- LED Headlights and fog lights (White and amber halos).  Great improvement over the stock bulbs.

- 3D printed rear seat recliner kit ( Orange PETG @ 80% fill )

- Some left and right side sasquatch lights, yet to be wired up.   Attached to the Gobi rack on custom 3D   
  printed mounts.
- A 1/4 wave antenna on a water tight NMO mounted to the front center of the GOBI rack.  Tunes to about 1.2:1 average on the VHF and UHF bands. 

- Yeasu FTM-400XDR.  The radio is mounted under the driver's seat on a custom mount.  The seat rail just clears the top of the radio, the audio is decent but could be improved with a remote mounted speaker.  The radio head is on a custom 3D printed head plate that also holds the head for the ICOM-706MKiiG.  The head plate has a RAM ball mount on the back, RAM clamped to a RAM ball mount attached to the dash.  The dash mount is a 3D printed mount /  acoustic cone mount that is attached to a speaker embedded in the dash.
- 1/4 wave VHF Lowband (6 meters) on the tailgate

- LDG 100PRO automatic antenna tuner for 6 meters on the 706.  But this will be replaced with the AH-4 antenna tuner once the mounting brackets are printed.

- Begun the CADD drawings for the AH-4 HF antenna tuner GOBI mounts.

- 3/8" stud mount on the rear driver's side of the GOBI rack with a spring and QD for HF antennas.

On order:
  - An ARB tent room to go with my  2500x2500 Awning.  They look like they are pretty nice, and less price than a
    similar sized tent. 

- Pair of Gear America snatch blocks (Also happen to be orange)
  - 4 Shackles with isolator for the bumper and use with the snatch blocks (Orange, because matching is
    important)

- Pair of Gear America tree savers (Guess what color.. .hint  starts with O)
I'm looking into fuel storage.  I like the idea of the rotopax and their "Jeep Jk Tailgate Mount" and either a pair of 2 gallons or a 4 Gallon.  It's a lot cheaper to get only one larger, but that's harder to handle.
Anyone have any?  Want to sell / trade / loan them?  Or do you mind to share opinions/experiences.  I have looked at the cheaper alternatives, but they just look chincy.
I have read about the bulging, and I'm mostly okay with that.  Bulging isn't covered under warranty.  But it sounds like defects are.                                                                                                                                 

The 2nd place choice is SXMA, they are a cheaper knock off of the rotopax, but not much cheaper.